We got an amazing gift from Jonathan and Christina when we left home on monday, Bank Holiday.
Bags full of crop from their garden.. ah I am just planning what all I will cook from all beautiful things that I have sitting on my work top now!
My forever favourite autumn and winter food is:
Cabbage Soup
It always reminds me about my childhood in Karelia, eastern Finland. It is still warm and nice weather but I will give you recipe for this easy and amazing soup so that when weather get´s soon cooler, you know what to do!
You need:
1kg Cabbage chopped very thin slices and those slices cut on size that is easy to eat.. ea. fit in to your soup spoon..
800g Lean mince meat ( beef or even better lamb)
1 big Onion
2 Beef stock cubes.
1 vegetable stock cube
3l of Water
5 Garlic cloves
Salt
Black pepper
Parsley
| You can use normal green Cabbage, I use red as I love colour and got this as a gift! |
Put big kettle on gas, add stock cubes, chopped garlic cloves, and some black pepper already in to water.
Chop Cabbage in to think slices, and chop those slices in to nice size so that soup is easy to eat.. if you have too long cabbage slices it will be difficult to eat with spoon if you see what I mean.. when chopped, add cabbage on to water that has already some spices, and stock cubes etc. let it boil when in mean while you deal with mince meat.
Fry Mince meat on a frying pan, add chopped onions, again tiny bit of black pepper, salt and fry it well with salted butter.
Add fried mince meat in to kettle ( see it has to be big to accomodate all this!) and add also good junk of salted butter in to water, and let it boil as long as cabbage becomes soft. Try the taste, you might need more black pepper or salt.
You might need to add water in the middle of everything.. as we are trying to do very thick soup here.. There should be liquids more than cabbage and mince meat in the end, so that liquid levels comes above them, but not so much that there are few sad peaces of cabbage and mince meat in one HUGE bowl of water..
Some people like adding also one carrot sliced for "coins" in to soup, to give it a colour, but as I had red cabbage I wanted to keep colour theme simple.
Put on your plate, decorate with parsley, and enjoy!
| This is real food.. can´t get any better, and all from organic materials. |
"This soup is especially great on cold autumn and winter days and is very typical traditional dish in eastern Finland, where I come from. "
No comments:
Post a Comment