This coming Christmas is going to be my first one in England. It will be fun to mix and match Christnas traditions from Finland and England all together.
I get to use best parts of everything!
Christmas pudding is something very new to me and I try to find inspiring recipe from somewhere, would not hurt if it would also very traditional.
This is original recipe from Mr. George Orwell, it was published in Guardian originally, I find it very inspiring!
This is original recipe from Mr. George Orwell, it was published in Guardian originally, I find it very inspiring!
Like in everything.. there is little dog buried.. or should I rather say Christmas pudding silver charms.
I must take a good look to internets wonders, if I would be able to find something from there.
Tradition with Silver Charms also exists in Finnish culture but in differently. We add the almonds, to rice porridge which is one of traditional Finnish Christmas foods. Almond in your porridge gives you good luck! ( My mother was fair to hide several almonds in to our porridge, even then happened so, that sometimes one person found all in ones, then she started to hide them straight to our plates.. )
Not that Glamorous than Silver charms, but cheaper.
Here is Victorian Christmas pudding tradition, I love it.
In Victorian times, small silver charms, wher placed within the Christmas Pudding.
Each charm fortelling a piece of advice, luck, romance or fortune.
Traditionally, hese charms were a Boot for travel, bell for a good luck, an wish bone granting a wish, a thimble denoting spinsterhood, a ring for a impending marriage, a horseshoe for a luck and bachelor´s button for a luck. Silver sixpences and threepenny bits were also placed in the pudding, denoting good fortune. Coins continued to be placed in puddings long after the little charms were lost, but after World War II, coins were made from copper and brass alloys which reacted during the cooking process and soon the tradition of charms and coins in Christmas puddings became rare
Inserting the Charms: Take 2m of ribbon, and cut them to 24cm pieces, fold in half over the eye or ring on each charm. Then using a small knife, push the knife a short distance in to the pudding, leaving the ribbon tails on outside of the pudding. The use of ribbon will prevent accidental choking, clearly telling you where the Charms are placed.
I love to think it as a little Christmas game, because no one really knows what is hiding in pudding, even if you see where that little charm sits..



No comments:
Post a Comment