Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Snowing in Helsinki, time to have a hot drink!

Hello all of you!
I must apologize that I have had a little pause on writing..
We are due to go to Helsinki, to pack a way our apartment there, and it has been really time consuming to arrange everything.
It will be interesting task since fresh photo from our hoods showed to me that there is real snowstorm going on, and weather forecast says that even more snow is coming.
I wonder what kind of a winter is going to be all and all, when it starts like this, already in November..
Last winter was above anything I have seen before, according official sources, it was coldest winter in 130 years in Finland!
I am happy I wont be there this year, and I really hope it is going to be easier winter here this year than it was last year..
To warm up all of you, here is delicious receipe for you to make Glögi, like we love it in Finland, and I am  sure you will too, after first taste!



Try and enjoy!


Glögi is popular Christmas time drink throughout Finland, it is hot, spiced wine, perfect for cold winter evenings. Just follow this easy Glögg recipe to make your own great-tasting spiced wine. Variations are optional and add great personalized taste to your own "Glögi"!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle of red wine
  • 0.5 Liter inexpensive brandy or vodka
  • 10 cardamom pods
  • 1 cinnamon stick (broken down)
  • 1/2 orange peel (dried or fresh)
  • 1/2 lbs sugar (regular or lumps)
  • Optional additions: 5 cloves, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup almonds, 5 dried figs
Preparation:
Heat the wine and brandy spices, fruit, and nuts in a pot (and any optional additions you might like.)Be careful not to boil the mixture; just let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
Then, strain through a cloth to remove all additions.
Serve your Glögi hot, over lumped sugar (or with regular granulated sugar).
Optional: You can also serve the Glögi with raisons or almonds, that is traditional way of serving it!
If you'd like the drink to be stronger, use more brandy.
This Glögi recipe makes approx 1.5 Liter


 Here is another Receipe, it is stronger, and I have made it so that it is used more like snaps.


Christmas vodka
is a winter tradition in Scandinavian countries. It is commonly made with vodka,
It can be served chilled or warmed.
Serves: 8
Ingredients:
  • 1 bottle (700ml) Vodka
  • 2 tbspn sugar
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 12 whole cloves
  • 12 whole cardamon seeds
  • 1 orange
Method:
  1. Gently crush the cinnamon, cloves and cardamon to release the flavor.
  2. Put the sugar and spices into the vodka bottle.
  3. Cork the bottle and leave for at least 2 days.
  4. Wash an orange and slice a long strip of peel.
  5. Put this strip of peel into the bottle and leave for a further 24 hours.
  6. Strain and discard spices and peel.
  7. Serve chilled. (best if taken straight from freezer, icy cold) 


Try on, I hope you enjoy results!! I do, every year...

No comments:

Post a Comment