I have always hated knitting, really, My Grandmother knitted my knits for school, secretly, and when I had to do it on front of my teacher, my school crafts number dropped from 9 to 5 ( 4 was worst).
I think big part of me, hating knitting so much was also fact that I hated selection or yarn they had. All was synthetic, and colours where ugly.
I tried to convince my teacher to give me permission to by my own yarn, but she was not very exited about my idea, and I had to take what was given. My hands where sweating from synthetic yarn, loops where so tight that needles just griped, and I never gotta finish my baby jacked that we where forced to knit on sixth grade. I simply hated it, teacher was not very supportive, if I made mistake she land all tight loops that I slowly had done in couple of hours, even that she could have explain to me what I did wrong and helped me to fix it. Anyway.. it took over 20 years to get back to knitting.
Again, my grandmother.. She ones said to me: as long as I live, I can knit for you, because I know how much you hate that, and I know you can do other things, but when I die you must learn how to do it. I had no options but walk in to one of those knit stores in Helsinki last summer, and buy my first ever own needles, and lovely green woolen yarn. I must admit I felt strange, and exited. I kept my promise, one I gave to Mamma.
I could knit if I wanted or leave it, if I wanted. I had option to do what I wanted. It kind of gave me freedom to do what ever I wanted. Girl in Knit shop was really supportive and great, she gave me very good advices, and I went home to get more of them from Internet. I of course did not have any idea how to do and what, or how to even start.
In the end, I managed to knit real shirt to my dog, it was good start, I was sitting in a car, my dear Arto was driving to Savonlinna ( we had great holiday in lake area, summer 2010 was hotter than ever in my life time) and I was knitting like maniac.
When I was finished, I was really proud of my self, Grandmother, Mamma would be proud of me too. If someone, she knew how terrible suffer it was for me, Knitting in crafts lessons in school..
I bought new yarn, bright pink Italian wool, and started a new shirt for Siiri.
That one I knitted while I was in master course in Italy, others singing, and when I did not sing, I was knitting.. I find it very calming, and I think it is easier to listen , when my hands are doing something.
Now I understand Mamma ( My grandmother) Who could sit, listen radio and knit, gentle smile on her face. She would now say: I told you so, if I could say to her that I love knitting!
This is what I feel like doing next!
I must say, from the experiment, that we should not underestimate impact that has with right colors, and materials.. even for children, and specially for children.
It is funny what kind of things I personally find great and fun to do, things that I hated over anything when I was a child... like skiing, Knitting, etc. and now I love them.
Ayone with great knitting patterns, I need some!!

No comments:
Post a Comment